Legislative Meeting Minutes - 11/13/2018
Thursday, January 17, 2019
Posted by: Anne St. John
NJASBO Legislative Committee
November 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM
4 AAA Drive, Suite 101, Robbinsville, NJ 08691
I. New Jersey Charter Schools
· The Committee discussed the information sessions being conducted by the NJ DOE and the Charter School Fact Sheet that was released.
II. Current Legislation
· The Committee reviewed a list of pending legislation and discussed the significant number of transportation related bills being considered by the Legislature and Governor.
· New Jersey Paid Sick Leave Act – The Committee discussed the challenges of implementation, and the relationship between the new legislation and existing statute N.J.S.A. 18A:30-2.
· The Securing Our Children’s Future Bond Act was approved by the voters. Additional information on allocation of the funds is pending, but $500 will be distributed for county vocational technical school expansion and K-12 school security, water quality improvements, and community colleges.
· P.L. 2018, Chapter 67 – Districts should plan for revised state aid payments that will be implemented over six years. NJASBO has a state aid projection tool to assist districts that will be losing state aid.
III. Legislative Visit
· The Committee agreed to schedule a visit to Trenton in the Spring to observe a budget hearing and possibly meet with an Assembly or Senate Education Committee member.
· John Donahue/Michele Roemer will distribute Assembly and Senate Education Committee agendas to the NJASBO Legislative Committee as they become available.